The R506 Hutchins
was Freitag’s Reference line laptop bag.
The Reference line was a limited run of bags made from vintage uni-coloured tarps — usually white, grey, or black. This one, being orange, is obviously an exception. All Reference bags featured clean lines that brought to mind the every day carry of journalists, sailors, or war correspondents.
Styled after a mid-century journalist’s attaché, the R506 Hutchins features a medium-sized front pocket protected by a flap, a large easy-access rear pocket, and a main chamber big enough for a 15″ laptop and more.
Launched in 2013, production of the Hutchins ceased in 2016. New, they were about C$580. This one is used but in impeccable shape — no holes, tears, or other nonsense — and is priced at $450.
For reference, the laptop in my photos is a 13″ MacBook air M1.
Text 416 556 6278 to schedule a pickup.
- Padded shoulder strap
- Buckle for adjusting strap length
- Medium-sized front pocket with a flap
- Large easy-access rear pocket
- Made from tough up-cycled truck tarps — keeping them out of land-fill
- 380 × 270 × 40 mm (l × h × d)
- 15 × 10.6 × 1.6 in (l × h × d)
- Volume: 3.0 litres
- used truck tarps (polyester fabric with PVC coating)
- cotton lining
- metal hardware (clasps, buckles, name-plate, tabs)
More photos are below.